Guatemala, November 18, 2020 – Derived from the context that we are living around the world by the COVID-19 pandemic, and hit by natural disasters in Central America due to tropical storms ETA and IOTA, the population has been affected, accounting for severe damages in various sectors; increasing poverty, extreme poverty and generalized violence, forcing people to migrate. Therefore, Casa del Migrant de Misioneros de San Carlos Scalabrinianos;
- That according to the results obtained in the recent presidential elections of the United States of America, in which the new administration will take over in the year two thousand twenty-one, we request:
- That the Temporary Protected Status (TPS) be reactivated for those countries that were suspended during the Donald Trump administration.
- Under of the declarations of the president-elect of the United States of America, we request compliance with the incorporation of Guatemalan families, children and unaccompanied adolescents in the Temporary Protected Status program, given the conditions of poverty, violence, pandemic and natural disasters that prevent citizens from returning safely.
- That Guatemalans who are in the United States of America, and those who migrate in the context of a pandemic, natural disasters and economic crisis, not be deported and can count on TPS or other immigration benefits.
- Definitively eliminate the Agreement Relating to Cooperation Regarding the Examination of Applications for Protection, signed between the government of the United States of America and the governments of Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras. Considering that the Central American reality is in a context of violence, they cannot be classified as safe countries.
- That the Human Rights of asylum seekers, all migrant workers and their families are respected and guaranteed.
Faced with the exposed situation, we call on the different sectors of Civil Society, States, Congresses, National and International Organizations, Churches and Religious Congregations, Universities, the Media, the Private Sector and Human Rights Defenders, so that together and of given hands let’s manage TPS for our nationals.
We condemn situations that threaten the life and safety of people on the move; we reaffirm our commitment to defend the dignity and human rights.
“Let’s be builders of solidarity bridges and let’s say no to the walls of hate.”
Fr. Mauro Verzeletti.